Short blog today following up from last weeks – How to get into Triathlon
Essential kit you will need for training/racing when its back on for your first triathlon!
Triathlon is three sports and as such it can be an expensive sport but avoid buying the wrong thing or too much kit and you can start off relatively small!
- Swim hat
- Swiming costume
- Wetsuit – Buying your first wetsuit
- Bodyglide – stops the wetsuit from chafing your neck, its NOT the same as baby oil which is not recomended!
- Bike – 10 Tips for buying your first bike
- Shorts & Jersey
- ……or trisuit – more on this in next weeks blog
- Cycling shoes – Essential Kit items for the New cyclist
- Race belt – when you come to race you will need this to attach your race number so it can be displayed on your back for the bike and on the front for the run.
- Water bottles & bottle cages for your bike
- Trainers – whatever you currently use or look for something neutral to begin with.
- Running kit (or trisuit!) – shorts/tshirt/sports bra/socks
- Watch – any old casio will do or you might want to get a fancy tracking device at some point!
- Elastic laces – these replace your normal laces and allow you to slip on your trainers more easily.
- Nutrition – if the race is longer than Sprint distance (750m, 20k bike, 5k run) you may want to consider energy drink/gels/bars. There are plenty of ‘own’ brands to choose from which don’t break the bank.
Things you really DON’T need
- A triathlon specific transition bag – it’s just a bag folks! Use any bag that can fit all your kit in!!
- A fancy TT bike
- A fancy aero helmet
- Fancy wheels……you get the idea!
- Ironman branded kit. Need I say more 😉